www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - How many open bottles do you have? - Page 2

 

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
How many open bottles do you have?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
r900p
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 138
Location: Hayfield, Derbyshire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost count! and the better half fed up of finding those i've forgotten about.

Rob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

JAB
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 22 Jul 2009
Posts: 1231
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
better half fed up of finding those i've forgotten about

Where abouts are you keeping them Rob?? Laughing Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Kenny Uisge
Member
Member


Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 6
Location: In the shed, Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom... you are not alone...

Just the one open at the moment...

Here's a thought - how long can you leave a bottle open before it spoils...?
_________________
I should never have opened that one... Oh well... Slainte Mhath...!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom W
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member


Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 220
Location: Dartford

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends kenny, if you open one up have 1 dram then leave it then it would take ages to 'spoil' as if it was unopened. however if you drank half a bottle or 3/4's say then their would be more air less whisky in the equation.

In terms of whether it 'spoils' that is another debate in itself! i find that over a period of time (months) the key notes and flavours just tend to become less intense. I had a independent bottling of highland park which i left for about 2 months with 1/4 bottle and that really did seem to lose its flavour a bit. dont believe any nonsense about the ABV changing or it becoming poisonous, for me its just a question of intensity and freshness of flavour
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 1757

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the level starts to go down on a good/expensive whisky i want to keep i sometimes decant it into a smaller bottle if i am not going to finish it off in the near future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carl Hagen
Member
Member


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Location: Vancouver BC Canada

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Well, since this is my first post - and the fact that I a relative newcomer into the world of malt whiskey - I guess I should really not be embarrassed.

Current Single Malt Whiskey Inventory: (in order of preference so far)
Laphroaig Quarter Cask 1 bottle + 1 unopened bottle (I bought the second one, as I heard a rumor that it might be discontinued soon)
Aberlour a.bunadh 1 bottle
Higland Park 12 Year 1 bottle
Macallan 12 Year Sherry Oak Cask 1 bottle

I believe in the power of the Internet, and before I make most purchases I do extensive research. It doesn't always work out the way I want it to, but it sure helps. If money were no object, then I could just go blindly around making all kinds of wrong purchases.
The Laphroaig Single Malt - in particular the Quarter Cask - was the one I found the most intriguing. However, since it seemed that it might be too bold for a newcomer, I decided to go with the Macallan 12 Year. I tried it, and liked it, but I thought it could be a bit more interesting. I was told by a colleague that I should try Laphroaig at a bar before I buy. Usually that kind of advice results in my doing the opposite. I immediately went and bought a bottle. Wow! For a whisky that smells at once like a dirty ashtray and a fresh pack of bandaids, it settles down and becomes a unique and loving friend. It can be a bit unkind if you don't treat it with respect, but I have to say that I simply love the stuff.
After hearing many wonderful things about Highland Park 12 year, including value for money, I tried it also. Just a very pleasant surprise, and a beautiful drink. I had also read numerous comments about the Aberlour a'bouadh, and from the descriptions it sounded like the whisky that would satisfy all my fantasies about what my ideal whisky should be. I was bang on! I opened it last night, for New Year's, and savoured every drop. Top Malt I will put my comments in the Tasting Notes forum. I can't imagine anything more splendid. I have to admit, though, that the Higland Park 12 year I am sipping at the moment is certainly working it's magic!
Sorry to ramble on, but as a newcomer I do have lots to say!
Cheers,
Carl Hagen
_________________
"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." Auntie Mame. - Mame (Rosalind Russell) in Auntie Mame (1958).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 945

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all excellent whiskies you have Carl, i havent heard anything about the Laphroaig Quarter Cask being discontinued, perhaps it may only be where you are located as i believe a lot of whiskies can be difficult to get a hold of in Canada due to the whisky sales being control by the government.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
soundmangt4
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 134
Location: Bromsgrove, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Quarter Cask is being discontinued, I believe it is the 15 year old that is being replaced with the 18 year old.
There is the new Laphroaig Tripple Wood, which was originally a duty-free only release like the quarter cask, only a sherry finished whiskey, but I am unsure where it is supposed to fit into the range.

All I know is there is no such thing as a bad Laphroaig! Top Malt
_________________
Rob Hughes
Scotch Malt Whisky Society member
www.smws.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 19 Dec 2006
Posts: 1536
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Laphroaig 15 was replaced by the 18 a while ago now, you would be very lucky if you found any 15 year old anywhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Innes
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 1082
Location: England

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Yes the Laphroaig 15 was replaced by the 18 a while ago now, you would be very lucky if you found any 15 year old anywhere.
I have a couple of bottles of the Laphroaig 15 tucked away. You can still find it but you will be paying £60+ for it now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 1791

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of you who have 10-15 bottles open, how long does it normally take you to finish a bottle?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cuba
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 296

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexppp wrote:
For all of you who have 10-15 bottles open, how long does it normally take you to finish a bottle?
I dont have a time limit on a bottle. Which whisky i drink just depends on which whisky i am in the mood for, for example i would drink more Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin during the cold winter months, so these bottles have a short shelf life with me in the winter.

Any one bottle can last me from 3 months up to 2 years. I always have a varied selection of whiskies open but try not to open too many with the same flavour profile at the same time but sometimes i just cant resist opening a new bottle i havent tried before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1221

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty much the same as you Cuba, just depends what i fancy drinking. Some bottles i get through quickly, some i may have open for a year, sometimes more before finishing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Posts: 468

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My more expensive drinking £50+ whiskies would last me quite a while as i wouldnt drink these everyday no matter how much i would like to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
newwhiskyworld
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Posts: 43
Location: Brighton, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAB - how are the Asda extra special bottles you have there? I noticed they haev reworked their packaging but how is the important stuff?

I usually sit at about half a dozen open bottles. Currently an Ardmore, Glenfiddich 15, Monkey Shoulder, Laphroaig 10 CS and a Laphroaig botteling from Signatory.

Jonny

www.newwhiskyworld.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 

 

© 2026 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.

This website was produced in Scotland.