www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Bad Whisky - Page 2

 

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bad Whisky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Iain Mac
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Location: Dun Eideann

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to work in the bar with the Gaelic whiskies years ago and always liked the Te Bheag unchilfiltered. The Poit Dhubh malt was nice too.

Worst has to be Ledaig. 'Fairy Liquid' isn't a good tasting note.
_________________
Slainte mhath - a h-uile la a chi is nach fhaic.
http://tocasaid.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

dodgydrammer
New Member
New Member


Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually enjoy Ledaig: the old Sherry bottling is okay, with a touch of the light, cloudy smoke coming in only at the very end (otherwise overpowered by sherry). The Ledaig 10 was quite nice, but with a touch of the Ledaig rotted-pear flavor that is perhaps not pleasing to some. A Signatory Island bottling of Ledaig 15 yo was good, too.

And Jura 16 yo is nice and spicy, with orange zest, corriander, some brown sugar, and honey. Not everyone loves it, but its another interesting island whisky.

Glendullan Singleton is a flabby, watery mess. But there's very few whiskies I don't like, especially among single malts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iain Mac
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Location: Dun Eideann

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: dirty dram Reply with quote

Had one or two below standard SMWS drams recently.

One was the 'whisky flavoured condoms and skunk road kill'. Description was apt! Interesting dram, think it was an Ardmore.

The other was an Ardbeg, recent SMWS release 'Dirty dram for Mary Poppins'. Good title. Tasting notes inlcuded 'like licking an ashtray'. Wasn't far wrong there. Not that good really.
_________________
Slainte mhath - a h-uile la a chi is nach fhaic.
http://tocasaid.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 1419

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: dirty dram Reply with quote

Iain Mac wrote:
Had one or two below standard SMWS drams recently.

One was the 'whisky flavoured condoms and skunk road kill'. Description was apt! Interesting dram, think it was an Ardmore.

The other was an Ardbeg, recent SMWS release 'Dirty dram for Mary Poppins'. Good title. Tasting notes inlcuded 'like licking an ashtray'. Wasn't far wrong there. Not that good really.
Not the most enticing tasting notes i have read. I dont think i would want to even try these after these tasting notes.

Charlie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iain Mac
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Location: Dun Eideann

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very true. Honest notes and i guess they must be someone's taste. Maybe Ledaig should add a similar description - Fairy liquid with notes of Mr. Sheen?

On a better note, these could be instantly forgotten by trying an Inchgower. The Flora and Fauna 14yo is fantastic - salty and sweet with a long finish. A German friend gave me a sample last night of a German bottling of a 17yo Port cask Inchgower. Great! Like a salty toffee-bo!
_________________
Slainte mhath - a h-uile la a chi is nach fhaic.
http://tocasaid.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pedorstroika
New Member
New Member


Joined: 07 May 2009
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't like Glenfiddich 12

I do like the 18 wich has more body, but the 12 is only good for in the cola in my opinion.
_________________
I'm not a collector, I'm a drinker!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 19 Dec 2006
Posts: 1536
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pedorstroika

I dont think much of the Glenfiddich 12 myself not very complex, i find it a bit dull and uninteresting and there is better for your money out their but i couldnt bring myself to put coke in it.

Have you tried the Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve which i think is a very nice whisky.

Keith
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 11 Jan 2010
Posts: 2329
Location: uk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i would add my dislikes,
I had a sip of talisker the other day and just wasnt impressed, Crying or Very sad also bought a bottle of arberlour 10, had my first try and mmmm not my cup of tea, although i did try again to make sure i just gave the bottle away, Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 1419

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just shows how tastes differ, i would rate Talisker 10 very highly and the 18 is excellent IMO. The Aberlour 10, i think is a nice dram for your money.

Charlie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 11 Jan 2010
Posts: 2329
Location: uk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tastes do differ and in the room was around 20 others ( sorry it was a whisky tasteing event ) the room was split 60-40 in favour of the talisker, i just didnt like it from the start, dont know what it was but its not for me..... Crying or Very sad anyway isnt that good news it means more for you Laughing my taste seems to be the lowland types Razz Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
javelinpc
Member
Member


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: I've tried a few, but Reply with quote

I've tried a few, but I can't stomach Auchentoshan - I don't know why, it just doesn't agree with me

I'd describe it as antiseptic, sort of TCP on the tongue

Maybe it's the triple distilling that does it, I don't know

I love the light smoke/peat of Highland Park but I can't get to grips with the Bowmore

The Glenlivet 12&15 are a dream, but Tobermory is a let down

I'm currently working through a Glenfiddich 15 and I will certainly buy more - Excellent
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 02 Nov 2006
Posts: 2216
Location: USA - Formerly Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never thought much of the Tobermory either or the Ledaig which is also produced at Tobermory. For me Bowmore has good and bad, i enjoy the 12 year old but dont think much of the 12 year old Enigma. I agree the Glenfiddich 15 is a very nice dram and all the Highland Parks are good and get better with age, i always have an HP 18 open.

Mac
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

DavidUK
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 20 Mar 2010
Posts: 174

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardmore Traditional Cask was pretty terrible. I managed to persude the supermarket I bought it from it was 'off', so they very kindly exchanged it for an Aberlour 10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 11 Jan 2010
Posts: 2329
Location: uk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelinpc,
I find the way you describe Auchentoshan quite funny, as that is the very same things i said about talisker, it is weired how we all think our prefered whisky is great then you hear someone say its rubbish but i guess it wouldnt be much fun if we all wanted the same.... well at least there is more auchentoshan for me Laughing I do agree totally with the glenfiddich 15, i have a couple of the older solero bottles, also the ancient reserve 18 year old is a nice dram to end the day with.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kenny M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 860

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorren wrote:
Javelinpc,
I find the way you describe Auchentoshan quite funny

It just shows how tastes differ. I personally would rate Auchentoshan as an ok malt but would rate the Talisker highly.

DavidUK wrote:
Ardmore Traditional Cask was pretty terrible. I managed to persude the supermarket I bought it from it was 'off', so they very kindly exchanged it for an Aberlour 10

I have never considered returning a bottle i didnt think much of, you must be very persuasive David. I found the Ardmore ok, you may well have got a bad bottle or maybe another example of how tastes differ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 

 

© 2026 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.

This website was produced in Scotland.