| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Quaich1 Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2012 Posts: 5749 Location: Ontario, Canada
|
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:42 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Whisky Dog wrote: | | The Mortlach 25 does sound good, i am sure i would love it but too rich for my whisky budget. I wonder why 43.4% ABV was chosen for the strength of the 3 new Mortlachs, not exactly a number you pull out the air. |
I was told by Georgie Bell that the 43.4% is based on historical distillery records and the fact that a very early shipment of Mortlach many years ago to Macy's Dept. store was at this strength and was right on target. _________________ "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
 |
Quaich1 Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2012 Posts: 5749 Location: Ontario, Canada
|
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:45 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I was told by Georgie Bell that the 49% abv figure comes from the distillery staff finding this sweet spot in the distillation and that Mortlach Rare Old Special Strength is the same liquid as the Rare Old but only at a higher abv. _________________ "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Frankie Master Of Malts

Joined: 14 Nov 2006 Posts: 346
|
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:09 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Quaich1 wrote: | | I was told by Georgie Bell that the 49% abv figure comes from the distillery staff finding this sweet spot in the distillation and that Mortlach Rare Old Special Strength is the same liquid as the Rare Old but only at a higher abv. | Interesting that the travel retail bottle it is a higher strength version of the Rare Old, i do a bit of traveling but havent come across it yet in the UK airports. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alexppp Master Of Malts

Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 1791
|
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:23 am Post subject: |
|
|
| 43.4 is very Balvenie-ish, or Bunnahabhain-ish! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Whisky Dog Master Of Malts

Joined: 09 Apr 2014 Posts: 719
|
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:21 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Quaich1 wrote: | | Whisky Dog wrote: | | The Mortlach 25 does sound good, i am sure i would love it but too rich for my whisky budget. I wonder why 43.4% ABV was chosen for the strength of the 3 new Mortlachs, not exactly a number you pull out the air. |
I was told by Georgie Bell that the 43.4% is based on historical distillery records and the fact that a very early shipment of Mortlach many years ago to Macy's Dept. store was at this strength and was right on target. | I wonder if this shipment was also in 50cl bottles Sorry, couldnt resist.
I will probably give the entry level Rare Old a go some time. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
William Administrator


Joined: 10 Apr 2006 Posts: 4059 Location: Scotland
|
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Frankie wrote: | | Quaich1 wrote: | | I was told by Georgie Bell that the 49% abv figure comes from the distillery staff finding this sweet spot in the distillation and that Mortlach Rare Old Special Strength is the same liquid as the Rare Old but only at a higher abv. | Interesting that the travel retail bottle it is a higher strength version of the Rare Old, i do a bit of traveling but havent come across it yet in the UK airports. | Frankie when i passed through Glasgow airport World of Whiskies shop last week they told me that the new Mortlach Special Strength was on there list of new whiskies for next month so it should be in airports in the UK very soon, it may already have arrived, it has a RRP of £75 for a 50cl bottle. _________________ There's no bad whisky. Just good whisky and better whisky. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|

|
 |
opelfruit Master Of Malts

Joined: 19 Feb 2013 Posts: 1900 Location: Trapped inside this octavarium
|
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:31 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Sounds like a wonderful evening and I'm seriously jealous about you trying these. Great tasting notes, Murray. All the nicer to know what the older ones taste like as I'll probably not ever get the chance!
For me these are out. I can't justify the price of the 18 or 25, and a NAS at 50cl winds me up so much I'm not going to buy out of principle.....need to find me some sample donors so I can try these though as the ratings you've given certainly want me to have a go. _________________ "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whisky is barely enough." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|