www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Bad Whisky - Page 3

 

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bad Whisky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
3ch0
New Member
New Member


Joined: 04 Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Location: N.Ireland

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently tried a Bowmore 12yr Old, i found the smoke way too overpowering. Almost as if their water source was rainfall down an old chimney. I just couldnt enjoy it at all. Maybe this appeals to some palates but definitely not mine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Archer
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 1532

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think most people will either love or hate the peated Islay malts. Personally i like the peaty islays including the Bowmore. Out of interest have you tried anything from ardbeg, lagavulin or laphroaig as these are heavily peated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3ch0
New Member
New Member


Joined: 04 Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Location: N.Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, i do like Islay malts and i do like smoke. Lagavulin 16 being my choice of dram for something special, i find it has a sweeter smoke on the nose and palate, Laphroaig i have not tried yet but i plan to since it's almost next door to where Lagavulin is distilled and easier to obtain i might add. Bunnahabhain, a wonderful swallow and one of my favorites for all time since it's what got me started in the world of single malts and it's highly underrated which is a shame.
Ardbeg i have had in the past from a friend, i did like it but i could do with purchasing a bottle for myself, refresh my palate so to speak. But the bowmore 12, i just couldnt taste past the smoke, it nullified any kind of complexity i was waiting for. I may be tempted to try Bowmore again but a different year perhaps the 18 since it's highly regarded as one of the finest apparently. But, then again it could be just me, im a smoker and my taste buds have taken a beating over the years. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harvey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt impressed with the Bowmore 12 at first as you say you couldnt get past the peat smoke, Jim Murray refers to bowmores smokiness as a Fishermans Friend tang and he doesnt mean it as a good thing. I have to say after the bottle had sat a while i went back to it and did appreciate it more. Have you tried the younger no age and cheaper Bowmore Legend i thought this was a better dram than the 12. Wasnt impressed at all with the 18.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 1757

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowmore is amongst the peatiest Islay has to offer but very different from the what i think of as the big 3 Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig. Bowmores smoke is very much chimney smoke and kippers and doesnt always appeal to even some peat monster whisky lovers. I would say the Bowmore 18 is ok but if looking for something extra special for the same money i would be looking at the Lagavulin 12 cask strength which is part of Diageos Special Releases. I can recommend the lagavulin 12 2009 release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
5-12-1908
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 307

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that some have not liked decent drinks.


I tried Ardbeg and hated it, and promptly put it in the back of the cupboard, forcing a little every now and then. By the end of the bottle I loved it.


Despite drinking a fair few bottles of Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve and loved them....However I had one that was like licking an ashtray! It was vile, I often thought I should have sent it off to the distillery.... I poured a quarter of that bottle down the sink so I wouldnt "force" myself to try it again.


I would say the only one I wouldnt bother getting again is Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban....It just did nothing for me, and was quite bland. But what do I know?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Acker
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member


Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 212

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyones tastes are different, for example i love Ardbeg and the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban but didnt think much of the Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom W
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member


Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 220
Location: Dartford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say i've ever had a bad whisky but I have certainly been dissapointed:

Ardmore Traditional cask - had an independent bottle of ardmore, loved it so i got this. 46% un chill filterted, the only peated highland malt - all the signs were there! but it never got out of first gear, possibly because of caramel im not sure. It just wasnt quite there.

Royal Lochnagar 12 - lovely history, nice bottle but carameled to the death. I never really appreciated what caramel did to whisky until i did this bottle, was so dissapointing as it brought a robust highland malt to its knees

Macallan 10 - I'm almost embarrased to say that ive only ever had macallan once and it was this year! it was in a restaurant so maybe the bottle had been opened for too long or maybe the food i ate or i drank too much wine but it just didnt work! But Macallan is my target next year, im going to hit it up so it can redeem itself
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SkyeIslay
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 29 Sep 2010
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, was it the 'traditional' Macallan 10 you tried or the Fine Oak version? As popular as it is, the standard 10 y/o can be a bit of an acquired taste if you're not a big fan of sherried whisky. The Fine Oak was designed to be more approachable to newcomers and to suit a wider range of tastes, but I know some people find it too dry.

For my part, one whisky with a good reputation that I've never personally 'got' is the Aberlour 10. Somehow it never came across as particularly well-balanced for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom W
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member


Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 220
Location: Dartford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what macallan it was to be honest but it just seemed very bland. I do need to give macallan a proper taste so i wont be too critical

aberlour 10 is good in my book, in the same league as glen fiddich/ livet 12 - just nice, always on offer in supermarket. Hits all the right notes doesnt try to be anything else
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harvey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom i agree with what you have said about the Royal Lochnagar 12, i wanted to like it but i just didnt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 

 

© 2026 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.

This website was produced in Scotland.