www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Which to buy (resolved)

 

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Which to buy (resolved)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
andyroid20
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Which to buy (resolved) Reply with quote

Hello first of all.
So I am on holiday in France and have noticed they have an interesting selection of ridiculously priced (in a good way) single malts but money is limited so I'm trying to decide what to spend my money. I can basically get 2 and the choices seem to be
Glenfiddich 18 - 39 Euros
Glenfiddich 15 - 28 Euros
Glenfiddich Rich Oak - 26 Euros
Aberlour 16 - 36 Euros
Oban 14 - 32 Euros
Cardhu Special Cask Reserve (or 15 Year) - 39 Euros

I got a Scapa 16 already for 38 Euros which has mixed reviews but it was such a cheap price - 38 Euros and a bit different being from Orkney. I have mainly Islay bottle so I want to even my collection out. Annoyingly they have a Lagavulin 16 for 43 Euros which is about £34 but I already have a nearly full bottle and want to expand the collection. Hopefully they will have them on my next visit to France.

Any suggestions for 2 would be appreciated. I'm toying with the Glenfiddich 18 and either the Aberlour or the Oban but am open to other ideas. I have tasted the Oban and know I like it but the Aberlour is supposedly better and harder to come by in the UK. But I already have an Aberlour, all be it only the 10yr old
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 5749
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which to buy Reply with quote

andyroid20 wrote:
Hello first of all.
So I am on holiday in France and have noticed they have an interesting selection of ridiculously priced (in a good way) single malts but money is limited so I'm trying to decide what to spend my money. I can basically get 2 and the choices seem to be
Glenfiddich 18 - 39 Euros
Glenfiddich 15 - 28 Euros
Glenfiddich Rich Oak - 26 Euros
Aberlour 16 - 36 Euros
Oban 14 - 32 Euros
Cardhu Special Cask Reserve (or 15 Year) - 39 Euros

I got a Scapa 16 already for 38 Euros which has mixed reviews but it was such a cheap price - 38 Euros and a bit different being from Orkney. I have mainly Islay bottle so I want to even my collection out. Annoyingly they have a Lagavulin 16 for 43 Euros which is about £34 but I already have a nearly full bottle and want to expand the collection. Hopefully they will have them on my next visit to France.

Any suggestions for 2 would be appreciated. I'm toying with the Glenfiddich 18 and either the Aberlour or the Oban but am open to other ideas. I have tasted the Oban and know I like it but the Aberlour is supposedly better and harder to come by in the UK. But I already have an Aberlour, all be it only the 10yr old


I would run to get the Glenfiddich 18 years with it's Jim Murray rating of 95. I would absolutely pass on the Oban in favor of the Cardhu 15 yr. If you can grab a Lagavulin 12 years at a reasonable price, it's a beauty. Let me know what you decide.
_________________
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andyroid20
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion. It's the Lagavulin 16. They don't have the 12 or I would have definately got that but as I have the 16 I can't talk myself into buying it when there are others. Is the Cardhu 15 better than the special cask reserve then becuase I haven't seen either in the UK before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 5749
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyroid20 wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion. It's the Lagavulin 16. They don't have the 12 or I would have definately got that but as I have the 16 I can't talk myself into buying it when there are others. Is the Cardhu 15 better than the special cask reserve then becuase I haven't seen either in the UK before.


Is the Cardhu, the 15 yr. Manager's Dram?..... if so .that's a real beauty! I would take the 15 over the special cask reserve myself.

Top Malt
_________________
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andyroid20
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah not the manager's dram. That one I would have recognized Top Malt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bifter
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 1403
Location: East Lothian

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was immediately intrigued by the Aberlour 16. I haven't tried it but there's a 'Double Cask Matured' 16 listed in Whisky Bible 2012, if that's the same one? Jim Murray gives it 94.5 and states the 'compensation for the disappointing 10-y-o is the elevation of the 16 to superstar status'. Sounds superlative!

Otherwise I agree with Quaich1.
_________________
"Whisky is liquid sunshine."
[George Bernard Shaw]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

andyroid20
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is the double cask one. Decision still hard!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom W
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member


Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 220
Location: Dartford

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for fiddich 18 - best most consistent whisky in the world in that price range.

and the rich oak as it is quality and a bit different with the new oak influence, really light and drinkable
_________________
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Archer
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 1532

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i would take the Aberlour 16 and the Glenfiddich 18 althought i would be tempted by the Cardhu Special Cask Reserve as i have never tried it and it is supposedly a decent malt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andyroid20
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least we all seem in agreement about the fiddich 18. I may have to "find" more money!

....er......."dearest????".....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 1791

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to throw a curveball here but personally I would go for Oban 14 and Aberlour 16. The reason? Sure, Glenfiddich 15 and 18 are pretty good (like others here I prefer the 15 between the 2) but you often get them at reduced prices in the supermarkets here. On the other hand, I never see Oban or Aberlour 16 on offer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andyroid20
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexppp wrote:
Sorry to throw a curveball here but personally I would go for Oban 14 and Aberlour 16. The reason? Sure, Glenfiddich 15 and 18 are pretty good (like others here I prefer the 15 between the 2) but you often get them at reduced prices in the supermarkets here. On the other hand, I never see Oban or Aberlour 16 on offer.


That's a good point. I really want to try a decent Glenfiddich though as I've only had the 12 year old which i wasn't impressed with and it kind of put me off. Out of interest, how do you find the Rich Oak 14 compares to the 15 and 18?

Now I'm well and truly stumped Confused But in a good way Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 1791

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyroid20 wrote:

That's a good point. I really want to try a decent Glenfiddich though as I've only had the 12 year old which i wasn't impressed with and it kind of put me off. Out of interest, how do you find the Rich Oak 14 compares to the 15 and 18?

Now I'm well and truly stumped Confused But in a good way Very Happy


Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Rich Oak. Check out the last page of the 'what are you dramming right now' thread - by coincidence I had taked about having a Glenfiddich 12 and how I actually prefer it to the Rich Oak! For me, the Rich Oak has an interesting nose that's unlike a 'normal' Glenfiddich', but the palate doesn't do it for me - too dry and not much 'richness' that's promised, aside from some of the spices of the new oak (in terms of being 'rich', it's the definitely the 15 that fits this description the best). So in my opinion the 15 and the 18 are definite improvements, with the 15 the best of the lot.

Ranking whiskies is normally a pointless exercise, but in the case of Glenfiddich I have a clear order of preference: the 15 is my favourite, and after that it's 18, 12, and 14 Rich Oak.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andyroid20
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. The Glenfiddich 15 is about 28/29 Euros which puts it around £23 which is still pretty good so it's worth being in the list of possibilities
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bifter
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 1403
Location: East Lothian

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally are these available in a supermarket or a specialist shop or something? I'm going to south of France soon so may save my whisky tokens for the trip at those prices! I'll be travelling to near Gascony so was hoping to find some decent Armagnac too.
_________________
"Whisky is liquid sunshine."
[George Bernard Shaw]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 

 

© 2026 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.

This website was produced in Scotland.