www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Bowmore 25 yrs. 1985 Cask 32207 Only 247 bottles

 

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bowmore 25 yrs. 1985 Cask 32207 Only 247 bottles

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 5749
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Bowmore 25 yrs. 1985 Cask 32207 Only 247 bottles Reply with quote

Here are my tasting notes (neat) after having just tried my very first dram of Bowmore 25 year old 1985 Cask 32207-Cask Strength Collection (Signatory) 53.5% abv-

Nose: Smoky fruity cheesecake, surprisingly vanilla sweet, refined and subdued peat, creamy, cottage cheese with fruit, rich, sweets hanging in a smoke house, a pleasant surprise.

Palate: Peat floating on a creamy pond, intense smoke, sweet tones metamorphosing to ash, creamy smooth and warm.

Finish: Smoky with faint berry notes , long finish, nutty with a hint of custard and spice with a peppery undercurrent.

I've never had a Bowmore before with such creamy, cheesy, sweet and smokey notes on a bed of such refined peat. I feel like I should be wearing a monocle sipping the dram in front of a wood fire and sitting comfortably on a mahogany colored leather chair. I would give it a solid 94.
Wink
_________________
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Cuba
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 296

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think there are some gems to be found amongst the independent bottlers offerings and it sounds like you have found one with the Signatory Bowmore 1985 25 year old
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Posts: 3006

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cheesy note makes me think of FWP which is the Fat Womans Pants note that some Bowmore whisky of the 1980s got a bit of a reputation for. But your scoring tells me it is not a bad note. In my experience Bowmore is a distillery that really gets better with age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bifter
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 1403
Location: East Lothian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T wrote:
Fat Womans Pants

I had heard it was French Whore's Perfume?

Cheesy whisky doesn't sound right but then neither do things like 'tarry fishing nets' or 'licking an ashtray' I guess. I trust this is a great dram from the score anyway!
_________________
"Whisky is liquid sunshine."
[George Bernard Shaw]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kray
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 362
Location: England

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard both "French Whore's Perfume" and "Fat Womans Pants" used ito refer to Bowmore whisky but cant say i have experienced it from any Bowmore whisky i have tasted or anywhere else for that matter. Smile I suspect "Fat Womans Pants" is just the tamer version describing the same thing.

I am not sure where this description came from but I have seen this FWP description used when mentioning Bowmore in general but never for a specific expression. I have always thought it to be an unfare expression.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 

 

© 2026 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.

This website was produced in Scotland.