| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Quaich1 Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2012 Posts: 5749 Location: Ontario, Canada
|
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:41 am Post subject: Ardbeg Uigeadail-What a price difference. |
|
|
I would like to try the Ardbeg Uigedail that prices out at around 50 pounds at The Whisky Exchange and occasionally lower elsewhere. Here at the LCBO, it is going for 105 pounds equivalent. At that price, forget it.
Another: the Ardbeg Corryvreckan goes for around 62 pounds at The Whisky Exchange but at the LCBO, it is at 115 pounds equivalent. Another dram I would like to try but forget it too.
Such is life. "Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you". (baseball reference-"The quote comes from Elwin Charles "Preacher" Roe, who was a pitcher in the Major Leagues from 1938 - 1954. (In)famous for his spitballs, which he had an uncanny degree of control over, as well as an uncanny ability to throw without getting caught. The original quote was "Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you"; Roe uttered it after being taken out of a game during the second inning."
In the same way, LCBO prices are out of my control so I choose what is reasonable and leave the rest. Or alternatively, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose the game (applies to whisky as well)..
 _________________ "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
 |
Big Mac Master Of Malts

Joined: 02 Nov 2006 Posts: 2216 Location: USA - Formerly Scotland
|
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:09 am Post subject: |
|
|
I am drinking the Ardbeg Uigeadail tonight, i pay around US $75
I think they do miniature bottles of the Uigeadail, maybe there is a shop that will post one to you from the UK |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
albo Master Of Malts

Joined: 22 Mar 2011 Posts: 1888
|
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:49 am Post subject: |
|
|
| It is a good whisky though |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
andyroid20 Double Malt Member

Joined: 24 May 2012 Posts: 107
|
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:31 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I got one last year from master of malt for £43. I think it's £47 now and that irritates me. I can't imagine it being £105. That really sucks! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Quaich1 Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2012 Posts: 5749 Location: Ontario, Canada
|
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:16 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| andyroid20 wrote: | | I got one last year from master of malt for £43. I think it's £47 now and that irritates me. I can't imagine it being £105. That really sucks! |
You can see what I mean. Beyond price, it's also the principle of the thing...the feeling of being ripped off.  _________________ "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
andyroid20 Double Malt Member

Joined: 24 May 2012 Posts: 107
|
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:14 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| You will have to resort to smuggling then |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|

|
 |
Quaich1 Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2012 Posts: 5749 Location: Ontario, Canada
|
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:17 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| andyroid20 wrote: | | You will have to resort to smuggling then |
I'm honest through and through and that's the only way I operate, on the straight and narrow. My only solution is "not to buy" certain unreasonably priced bottles. And like Walter Cronkite, newscaster of the past was noted to say: "And that's the way it is...."
 _________________ "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
andyroid20 Double Malt Member

Joined: 24 May 2012 Posts: 107
|
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:59 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I was not seriously suggesting a felony. If I had been, shoplifting would have been easier methinks. Lol |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|