| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
ralfy legend Master Of Malts

Joined: 25 Nov 2014 Posts: 969 Location: Fife
|
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:32 am Post subject: toshan american oak |
|
|
| seen the the above for£25 so is it any good? any views please |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|

|
 |
sorren Master Of Malts


Joined: 11 Jan 2010 Posts: 2329 Location: uk
|
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:25 am Post subject: |
|
|
Toshan did I see toshan ,
The American oak is a very nice dram, it's the replacement for the classic,
I just got myself a few bottles from tesco, at this price you can't really go wrong, ( unless your not a toshan fan) it feels a bit more beefy than the classic was, so if you enjoy the Auchentoshan range then yes you will like this one... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
opelfruit Master Of Malts

Joined: 19 Feb 2013 Posts: 1900 Location: Trapped inside this octavarium
|
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:31 am Post subject: |
|
|
I like the fact that they have to tell you it's been matured in "American" oak. I suppse they need to tell you that as it'd be easy to confuse it with the standard maturation policay from 'toshan; to mature in cardboard boxes.
 _________________ "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whisky is barely enough." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
ralfy legend Master Of Malts

Joined: 25 Nov 2014 Posts: 969 Location: Fife
|
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:59 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| never tried a toshan at all so i might give it a go. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
sorren Master Of Malts


Joined: 11 Jan 2010 Posts: 2329 Location: uk
|
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:51 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Opel... I started to read your post and actually thought it was going to be sensible.... Why o why do I fall for it every time...
Auchentoshan is a lowland whisky, it's subtle, floral notes are not for everyone, some people need big robust flavours, everyone's palates go eventually, some earlier than others  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
opelfruit Master Of Malts

Joined: 19 Feb 2013 Posts: 1900 Location: Trapped inside this octavarium
|
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:16 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Hook
Line
Sinker _________________ "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whisky is barely enough." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|

|
 |
Kenny M Master Of Malts

Joined: 21 Apr 2007 Posts: 860
|
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:18 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I haven't tried the Auchentoshan American Oak yet, I suspect it doesn't differ too much from the classic it replaced and was more a name change for marketing reasons with just a small tweak of the formula such as age of the whisky in the mix. I suspect the American Oak name is to lure some of the young drinkers of American whiskey. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
ralfy legend Master Of Malts

Joined: 25 Nov 2014 Posts: 969 Location: Fife
|
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:54 am Post subject: |
|
|
| a small tweak here and there makes a big differance dosnt it? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
sorren Master Of Malts


Joined: 11 Jan 2010 Posts: 2329 Location: uk
|
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:23 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| The big difference is that American oak is matured in first fill bourbon casks, I believe classic is a mix of first fill and refil casks, I could be wrong 😳 ... The American oak does seem to have more depth to it.. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|